- 0.5 cup tri-coloured quinoa rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- Zest of half a lemon
- 0.5 cup pistachio kernels
- 0.5 cup currants soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and drained
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 cups fresh parsley chopped
- 0.5 cup fresh mint chopped
- 2 small tomatoes diced
- 0.5 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- salt to taste
- Boil 1 cup water and add quinoa. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and leave covered for a further 10 minutes.
- Saute onion in olive oil. Add pistachio kernels and continue to cook until nuts start to brown.
- Add currants, lemon zest, lemon juice and pomegranate molasses. Cook until liquid reduces. Remove from heat and cool.
- Mix in a bowl, parsley with tomatoes and mint.
- Add cooled quinoa and onion mix to salad and stir well. Fold through fresh pomegranate.
- Serve with falafel and hummus.
If fresh pomegranate is unavailable, I do not recommend the freeze dried type. Try putting some cranberries or goji berries in place of the pomegranate, although they are not as good.