- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp gravy powder
- 3 cups water room temperature
- 1 tin Nutmeat diced
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup diced frozen vegatables (peas, carrots,corn) defrosted
- 1 pkt shortcrust pastry
- 1 pkt puff pastry
- Soak TVP in bowl, well covered with hot water, until soft (at least 15 minutes), rinse under cold water and drain.
- Saute onion and garlic in saucepan with olive oil until lightly cooked.
- Mix gravy powder in water until dissolved.
- Add gravy mix to saucepan and whisk until mixture starts to thicken.
- Combine Nutmeat, TVP, tomato paste and vegetables into saucepan and mix well.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, then remove.
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Lightly oil the pie tins of your choice.
- Cut shortcrust pastry into rounds larger than the base of the pie dish allowing pastry to go up the sides.
- Press mixture into pie tins and fill mixture ¾ of the way up the tin.
- Top with round of puff pastry and pinch around sides.
- Brush pie top with water, place hole in centre to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes and remove when golden (after 15 minutes rotate pies from top to bottom).
- Remove from tins and serve immediately with tomato relish or tomato sauce.